Wednesday, September 10, 2008

One Year Later

Last year on September 10th, I got up early, put on my best suit, and rode the bus and an elevator to the 21st floor of the main building of LUBI for my first day as a sales assistant. Within a couple of months, I had upgraded my title to "registered" sales assistant, reflecting the untold hours I devoted to studying for and passing the multiple licensing exams needed for a financial advisor. Now, here I am, a year later, happily settled in this job that I agonized for weeks over accepting.

I think we can all agree that taking the job was a very good idea.

Stress levels? Down. Income? Up. Schedule? More flexible. Opportunity in the world of finance? Much broader. Overall employee satisfaction? 73.6% higher.

I've learned more this past year about markets and economics than I ever could in a college course. And while I feel competent in my job, I am still intellectually challenged on a day to day basis by customers wanting to know what the @#$% is going on with the markets (don't ask me, nobody knows). I also feel more valued as an employee than I had in the past couple of years, even though I am now "just" an assistant as opposed to a manager (further proof that titles means nothing to your leadership ability or potential).

This position, like my entire time at LUBI, was surprise, and a blessing. I have no idea what the next stage of my career entails, or if this will be my last hurrah in the banking world before I settle down into my true calling as a church secretary. But I do know that I am still enjoying myself, and I still feel that I am walking the path God has set for me. I have no idea where the path may lead (although I have some wishes) but I trust that it will be a good journey.

No comments: