Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Coming Back to the Land of the Living

Whew.

You know that verse that talks about not planning for tomorrow, for you don't know what life will bring? The past three weeks have been a good reminder of that principle. A couple of days before Thanksgiving I was planning the family meal and thinking ahead to the Christmas shopping I would be doing the weekend after. Those plans never quite materialized though, as I came down with a rare illness that landed me in the hospital. It's halfway through December now, and while I am past the worst of it, I am still recovering my strength, and this month is definitely not shaping up the way I had intended.

But that's okay. I'm grateful for my recovery, which according to my doctors is better than they expected. I'm blessed to have family and friends who supported us through the dark days with their prayers and help. I am overwhelmed by the love of my husband, who tended to me so faithfully both in and out of the hospital, and still managed to make me feel beautiful and treasured even when horribly sick.

Most of all, I am in awe of my Lord and Savior, who sends us His Spirit to comfort us in the midst of trials. Even when I was feeling my worst, when the fever was raging and the pain was extreme, I had a deep peace ministering to me, reminding me that God works all things together for good. I knew that I would be okay, despite the dicey situation I was in, because I had a reassurance in my soul that the Lord wasn't done with me yet, that this was simply another battle that He had already won on the Cross, and that I would see the victory here on earth as it is in heaven. I hold firm to the promises that have been spoken to us, that we are winning the war against the eczema that I have battled for so long, that this extreme situation was a last stand of the devil, and I do not need to fear, for my God has redeemed me, body and soul.

I've read a lot of encouraging words and listened to a lot of good songs during this time, but one has stood out to me: 'Our God' by Chris Tomlin. This has become my mantra:

Our God is greater, our God is stronger
God You are higher than any other
Our God is Healer, awesome in power
Our God, Our God…

And if Our God is for us, then who could ever stop us
And if our God is with us, then what can stand against?
And if Our God is for us, then who could ever stop us
And if our God is with us, then what can stand against?
What can stand against?


Nothing can separate us from the awesome, powerful love of God. Hallelujah!

No comments: