Saturday, December 30, 2006

I was a writer once...


Lately life has been crazy busy with holidays and all, compounded by the weather mania this month. It doesn't look like things are slowing down either-pretty much every Saturday in January is already booked, I'm going to be busy at work training a new teller, and I've got to get on the ball planning Life Together activities at church.

In the midst of all this, I agreed to write a piece for the new newsletter at church regarding said Life Together ministry. Something about why I'm involved, what the ministry is for, and why the name. The last one is kind of tricky-does everyone really want to know the torture that was (and continues to be) the name change? I think I'll give the abbreviated version of that.

Problem is, I'm finding that I am out of practice with writing a piece for publication. See, in college, I could pump out a 5 page literary analysis in about 3 hours. A 600 word newsletter blurb would have been a piece of cake. But now I can't seem to get it together. How do I start? Do I make it super funny, or a little bit heartfelt with a side of schmaltz? Do I talk more about the logistics of what we are doing, or my heart for community and relationship development? Sigh...too many choices, too many decisions. My writing machine is a little rusty.

I've decided that this blog is good because it at least keeps me in the habit of writing. It doesn't give me the challenge of writing on a specific topic for a certain audience, but it at least keeps me typing. Someday I do want to start writing for real, maybe even publish something. That's a long way off, but this situation is teaching me that I have to keep my skills sharp, whether it's journaling, blogging, or writing for the church newsletter.

Now to go work on that...

No comments: